Fun in drawing and illustrating Feria

Drawing Feria, dancers, friends and Andalusia in general…

Before Covid 19, other family priorities had me move away from the south of Spain, but it has always stayed with me, it is part of who I am.  There is a frase in Cadiz “El gaditano nace donde le da la gana”, and I means that you can be born somewhere else but if you feel you belong in Cadiz, it is your right (more or less, very loose translation). 

So I started drawing just to stay busy during hurricane Irma (2017).  I knew the power lines would fail and the lack of electricity would makes days very slow and I needed a new hobby anyway.  Then I moved again and then came Covid 19, so it was a good thing I kept myself entertained.  Jumping to the present time now I draw many memories from Andalusia.  Slowly I started buying pencils, crayons, watercolors, brushes and now I have a room full of crafty things to express my ideas, my trips and memories.  This is my way of remembering Feria, my friends left behind and a way of thanking them for the good times.  
Everyday is a new challenge to draw, paint and post my drawing on Instagram.  That took a lot of courage.  At the beginning I just would not do it, now, I don’t care, I post for myself, to keep a record of my evolution as an artist (big word). 

One of my first drawings with my feria buddy, Ana.  

We both play the castanets and were inseparable while in the feria. 

Feria fashion, this is inspired by the feria catwalks during the first months of the year.  Beginning in mid January, feria fashion shows are a must.  Here you can see the trends for fabrics, compliments, flowers and hairdos.


Inspired by dancers in Jerez.
Watercolor


Now on top of watercolor I am learning digital painting which is quite difficult but so much fun.  Some of the designs I have uploaded to print on demand site such as Redbubble and Society6, if you’d like to peek.  Thanks for stopping by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment